So, it’s official! You are attending the University of Missouri in the fall! Mizzou is such a special place, and we hope you learn to love it like we do. It’s actually where we started…in the basement of Brady Commons (now the Student Center).
First things first
Summer Welcome is an important start to your life in college. You’re going to trek all over campus, visit classrooms, lecture halls and computer labs. You’ll try dining hall food. Classes will be scheduled. Advisors will be met. It’s your official introduction to being a Tiger!
Some things to know about your visit:
- Before you arrive on campus for your visit, do everything they tell you to do in the packet. It will save you some steps when you get here, and there’s going to be a lot on your to-do list. So it’s worth it to get as much as you can get done ahead of your visit. DON’T forget to bring your parking pass! You’ll be subjected to ticketing if you forget to display your pass.
- Ask Questions. Everyone at Summer Welcome is there to help you. They want to give you the best experience and make sure all of your questions are answered. Don’t hesitate to ask them and put your mind at ease before you arrive on campus this fall. What are some of your favorite clubs or groups on campus? What is your favorite tradition? How often do you go home? What is your advice for incoming freshmen?
- Open yourself up to making new friends. You’re going to be in the same group ALL day – there will be time. Rather than burying your nose in your phone, start the friend making process early. Wouldn’t it be great to have a few faces to reconnect with when you get back to campus in the fall?
- Get a fresh perspective. If you took a tour of the campus before applying or committing, then you probably heard all about Mizzou. But campus is huge and you probably don’t remember where a lot of things are. Take pictures of landmarks with your phone and ask questions. You’ll be visiting buildings that you may never enter again and other buildings that you’ll basically live in until you graduate.
- Prepare for the predictably unpredictable. Summer weather in Missouri is HOT, and sometimes unpredictable from one day to the next. Rain or shine, hot or mild, make sure you dress the part and stay hydrated. Bring a water bottle with you to refill around campus.
Summer Welcome is just the start of your journey as a Tiger. While this visit may be brief, you’re going to make gobs of memories. Campus may seem huge, but you’ll have it all figured out in no time!
And, while you are in town – stop by and say hi!
Our downtown branch is on 9th street, a stone’s throw from the quad and Shakespeare’s Pizza. We have several ATMs on campus and over 30,000 CO-OP ATMs nationwide so you even have access to your accounts when you head home!
Pop in to ask us any money management questions or to open an account. We are here to help you learn financial responsibility as you embark on your own.
Good luck, and welcome Tigers! The adventure starts now.